Monday, November 3, 2008

A Perfectly Uneventful Weekend

The weekend was such a refreshing break, and I am happy to say that as predicted, I watched football, spent time with my family, and ate my Omi's mashed potatoes--they are the best in the world. We lazed through the weekend with no major problems and few minor ones. The two that were encountered were actually pretty funny, and I am going to try to give them both justice in a quick recount of the events. My mom and I left Houston for the lakehouse (a 2 and a half hour journey) at 1 pm or so on Saturday afternoon. After about 45 minutes of painful stop-and-go traffic driving, we stopped at a Sonic to get something to eat. "Mom, we got all my medicines, didn't we?" Why I didn't asked this 45 minutes earlier, I still don't know. My mom sat thinking for a minute, a second later in a highly exasperated voice "I forgot your heparin flush!" Heparin flush is a liquid injection that my mom shoots into the catheter in my chest daily to clean it out. It's a pretty important step in my daily routine. Now to my moms credit, I didn't help her at all in the packing of the car, and it was an easy mistake that I could have definitely helped to prevent. Thankfully, the hour and a half extra in the car was thought of as little more than a comical mishap shortly after. On Sunday evening, I asked my mom to change the dressing over my catheter. It's supposed to be changed once a week, and there is like an 18 step completely sterile process to change it. It's kind of a pain, but since the catheter leads into one of the major veins close to the heart, it's kind of important to keep it clean. So anyways, after my mom had cleaned the surface of the countertop, slowly taken off the old bandage, carefully cleaned the wound, and re-covered it with new gauze, she looks for the special type of bandage to put over the gauze and it is nowhere to be found. After this 20 minute process of slow and sterile cleaning, I'm sitting on the chair with only gauze over these holes in my chest. Come to find out, all of the supplies for the dressing change came in the package that we received from the hospital, everything that is EXCEPT the bandage. It was late and the lakehouse is out in the country, so there was no hope of going to a pharmacy. My mom, the creative mind that she is, made due with Glad clingwrap, white medical tape and bandaids. We will be changing this make-shift bandage as soon as we get back to Houston. I can't help but laugh whenever I think about it; me sitting in a chair watching while everyone is frantically searching for some sort of bandage. The rest of the weekend was pretty uneventful, but uneventful right now is good. I have decided that my mom and grandma are the two most servant-hearted people that I have ever met. They really find joy in serving other people, and I can really see Christ in them. So if you are reading this mom and Omi, I want to say thank you because I don't think I say it enough.
My dad brought me a box of various letters and a couple packages that were all sent to my house in Waco. I feel so blessed to have the love and support of so many people. Thank you again and again--I can't say it enough.
A prayer answered--After 5 days of tirelessly searching, my mom and I have an apartment and will be moving in on November 18th. We are both so excited to have a "home." It is very close to the hospital, close to some fun shopping (this could be trouble, j/k dad), and just plain beautiful. There's a work-out facility, pool, lake, entertainment center, business center, and everything you can think of. God is good and is continually providing.
Tomorrow I have out-patient chemo, three different types; one will be new and the other two I've had before. Please pray that my body responds well to the chemos.

Thanks for all of your prayers :) I am one blessed girl.

4 comments:

Kim Kirkpatrick-Thornton said...

Kendall,
I'm so glad to hear you had a restful weekend once you got to the lake house. Thank you for sharing in detail about your weekend. I'm really wanting to know what is going on with you and it really helps me praying for you. We have our first scrimmage today and this morning while I was praying for you I was thinking about much I enjoyed coahing you and what a priveledge it was to be able to do so for 3 years. Heck, if you survived me you can survive anything. I'm praying for you and that your chemo works. I'm praying for strength for you and your family especially your mom. She is awesome! You continue to encourage and inspire me daily. I can only imagine how God is using you in the lives of people in Houston and MD Anderson. Let your light shine. I love you, Coach K
"Be strong and courageous? Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with ou wherever you go." Joshua 1:8

Unknown said...

Hi Kendall,

I am a Baylor alumni and friend of Kathy Rolan who sent me a link to your blog. Your story reminds me a lot of my own. I was diagnosed with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the mediastinum on Christmas of my senior year at Baylor. I really enjoyed your observations about how the hospital never sleeps. It was so irritating! I never got any decent sleep, and I lost all track of time. Also, it seems they always start chemo at a random hour like 2am! I think I started mine like at 9pm on New Year's eve. The nurses came in and decorated me with streamers, but I was out of it. I did 6 three week cycles of CHOP-R which included the two drugs you mentioned. Anyway I hope your treatment goes well. I believe youth and heart play a big part in recovery and it seems you have both. I don't have a blog (not that savy), but I clicked some box where my email should show up on my comment, so if you ever want to dish chemo, just drop me a line.

Sandra Talbert said...

Kendall,
Just a note to let you know that you and your family are in my prayers daily. Thanks for sharing your journey with us so we can see how God is working in you and through you!
:)Sandra Talbert

Sarah A. Conley said...

Hi, Kendall!

I'm a NHL survivor and friend of Jodi Wachsmann's (her mom works with someone who knows your family, I believe.). I love reading your blog and hearing your experience with the Big C. I was diagnosed last year at the age of 23 and couldn't have been more shocked to learn that I had cancer, of all things! Isn't it the strangest feeling? If you ever feel up to it, check out my blog (www.howyoulive.org) where I have shared some of my story, as well as write about young adult cancer issues.

I'm praying that God continues to provide everything you need during this season of your life. He's so good at that. :) My encouragement to you is to savor every moment. I know that's so strange...but this is a very unique time in your life. Let people love you and take care of you. That's Jesus with skin! God loves us through His people. Rest when you need to. When was the last time you had permission to sleep whenever you wanted?! Allow this experience to connect you with other young people whom you can encourage and inspire through your testimony. People are watching to see what your response to this crisis will be. And it's evident that you are trusting the Lord completely. He's so proud of you.

I will continue to follow your progress and will be cheering for you from a distance!

Best-

Sarah Conley