Tuesday, November 18, 2008

CANCER FREE!!!

Where to begin, with a title like that, the only place really is from the beginning? All last week I knew I was going to have a second PET scan (the scan that shows where the cancer is in the entire body), and to be honest with you I was worried. I had a spot of cancer on my vertebrae in my first PET scan, and I envisioned myself being told that it had spread to my spinal cord (not good, at all). I knew that this was not highly likely, but definitely possible. I terrified myself by thinking of worst possible scenarios, never a good idea. You’re mind can’t help but wander in times like these. Anyways, walking into M.D. Anderson this morning, I felt strangely calm, and I know now that God was giving me His peace. I suited up in my scrubs that were two sizes to big, was injected with radioactive material, waited/rested for an hour for the injection to circulate through my entire body, and was finally told to lay down with my hands above my head and my legs straight. I was slowly passed through a scanner. It took about 20 or so minutes. Thankfully, I was able to stay still (I’m not very good in enclosed spaces). Two hours later, I was called in for my doctor’s appointment. My mom was with me. The physician’s assistant came in, a smile playing on her lips. Halfway through going over my blood work, she happily said, “I only have good news for you today.” I think I knew then. She then handed me a piece of paper that in the center read “scan demonstrates complete response to therapy” and then with a huge smile said, “you are cancer free.” I looked at my mom and we both smiled. Surprisingly, I didn’t cry. My tears might have brimmed a little, but mostly I was just smiling. I wanted to hug her, but I refrained. My PA (her name is Lori) almost started crying, and searched unsuccessfully for tissues. After she left, my mom and I, still smiling, hugged each other and sat silently waiting for my doctor. My doctor, who I just found out is the number one expert in her field in the nation (I knew she was smart, but man…praise the Lord she is my doctor), came in grinning as well. Dr. Thomas told me that this was the best case scenario, and that it is a good sign. She seemed very happy, and I know that when Dr. Thomas is happy, then I can be ecstatic. She then went over the next round of chemo with me. Yes, don’t be surprised, I still have to finish ALL of my chemotherapy treatments. She told us that I have to finish it out because at this point the cancer can and probably would come back, so I have to endure the next 7 rounds/5 months, more or less. Actually, knowing that the cancer is gone is going to make this SO much easier. I can now tell myself when I’m feeling crappy that I’m cancer free because the chemo is working and will continue to work. Dr. Thomas also told me that after I’m completely done with the chemo, I’ll have to come back for regular tests for a year, and if I go a full year without the cancer returning I will be 100% cured--the cancer I have (or had) will NEVER come back. I’m being admitted tomorrow, I’m not sure exactly when, but now I’m more ready than ever. I never thought I’d say this, but I actually can’t wait to get in the hospital. Weird…Anyways, that’s what happened to today.
I think I should say as well that God really has answered a lot of prayers. I know that so many people have been praying, and God has been/is listening. All I can say right now is that He is good, He is the Great Healer, but most importantly God has been and will continue to remain faithful. I know that I am now cancer free, but please continue to pray for the next five months, this chemo regimen is not easy and really takes a lot out of me. Please pray that God will keep me healthy, keep my body strong, and keep the cancer from coming back. Love you all!

Praise the Lord. He is our battle-shield. He is our Redeemer.

15 comments:

Carla Valis said...

Kendall, Kayla just called me after reading your blog and told me to get on quick and read the great news! We are so happy for you! We will most definitely keep the prayers coming. May God continue to give you peace. And by the way, tell your mother to take care of herself, too! Praying for all of you! Carla Valis and family

Debbi said...

Kendall what Great News!!!
You might not have cried, but I did. I am so happy for you and your family & friends. Keep that positive attitude & praise God for allowing you to have the Best of Physicians...Dr. Thomas & Himself!
We will most definitely continue to pray for you.

You & your Mom give each other a hug from me :-)

debbi

the 10th kid said...

Kendall-I am so thankful for your news today! It really is a miracle, just the one we've all been praying for. Love you, girl, and I'm still praying! Amy :)

jokelley said...

WOW! I am Emily Pattee's friend and she told me about your story. I have been praying for you and I will continue to do so. Thank you for sharing your story. You are very brave to do so and I can not believe how strong you are. God is good and he is with us through the storms in our life. He is mighty to save. Stay strong and thank you again for your story. It has truley touched me and has given me strength in my faith.

Kim Kirkpatrick-Thornton said...

Kendall, I got so excited when I read your blog this morning. Praise the Lord! You are right He is so good and faithful. I know He has been blessd by your love for Him and trust in Him during this time. I will most certainly continue to pray. I am so happy and feel so uplifted. You are my hero. I'm so thankful God saw fit for you to have the most awesome earthly physician. Love you, Coach K

Courtney said...

AMEN!!! James and I are so happy and I am almost about to cry here reading this! God is so good and man....this is just amazing! We WILL continue to pray that the chemo goes well, you are able to remain strong through it, and that when you do go back in a year, the doctor will continue to tell you great things!

Anonymous said...

Kendall, I'm very very very happy with this news. Lots and lots of love, Uncle John

Anonymous said...

wooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo!!!

AV said...

now that is good news. gosh kendall, i am SO stoked for you. i was at dinner with a friend when i found out and couldn't focus the rest of our time together - i was so slap happy! God rocks, go chemo, yay kendall. you should sing "fighter" by christina aguilera, because you are one!

Soren said...

Oh My Goodness!!! This is truly the best news I have heard in a LONG time!! I'm not sure if my parents or Sarah or Ben have read this yet, but I am counting the hours untill they all get home from work/school so I can call them & tell them the news!!

There is no doubt that God has been looking out for you & there is no question that modern medical science and your skilled Doctors have had much to do with this 1st sucess, however I do not want you to forget that YOU are the strong, powerful being that was able to channel all of the positive energy, prayers and love through your body and soul. If you were not the strong, stubborn person we all know and love you would surely not have had this sucess!

You did it girl! keep up the good work! Think positivly and don't forget how strong you are.

YYAAAAAA!!!
~Soren

m. said...

KK -- I just stumbled upon your blog and am so unbelievably grateful for your good news! I'm keeping you in my prayers. stay strong, sweetheart!!

Megan said...

Wow Kendall! That's awesome! What an answer to prayer! and so soon too! We are so excited to hear the Awesome news! (Journey is really stoked about it too. ;-)She told me.)
God is Good and He is Good all the time! Yay sister. I'm so glad you're doing so well. We will continue to pray for you as you go through the rest of your chemo treatments.

We love you dear,

Megan and Ron

Unknown said...

so gglad to hear this...we will continue to pray for you and your family. i love you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kendall! Just checking in on you & everyone around you :-) I've been thinking of you & praying for you all, can't seem to get you off my heart.
I read a blog from another person battling cancer and wanted to share what she had written. It is so appropriate for us all! Although some journeys are definitely harder than others...we are all walking along the same path - as a child of God it's one of becoming more Christ like & trusting Him more & more.


Here is what was on her blog....

"Last night, fifteen or so folks from our Life Group and church staff came for prayer at our home. It was a sweet time together - here is one note from someone who attended:

I had directions with me to get to your house, but driving in the dark, especially when it’s an unfamiliar route, can often be stressful for me. Throughout the trip, I kept thinking of things that could go wrong. I was anxious when adding the distance on Hwy 380 to my odometer, afraid I would miscalculate, afraid that the directions I had might be inaccurate, or maybe I had mistyped the address when I did the address search. I had been to your house a number of times, but never paid attention to how we got there. Throughout the trip there, I had this nagging feeling that I would get lost, make a wrong turn and be late. My directions were accurate, though, and I made it to your house just fine.

On my way home I was better, but still making sure I was very attentive to my mileage and the road signs. About 10 minutes into my drive home, however, I looked up and noticed something on my inside windshield. It was the GPS navigation unit I got my husband for Christmas. We had moved it to my car when we traveled to Illinois for Christmas and had never moved it back to his car. All this time I was calculating, worrying and thinking I had to figure everything out on my own. Immediately, I felt God telling me, “That’s how you live your life, too. You’re always so busy and stressed trying to navigate, when I’m right here wanting to do it for you. All you to do is listen and follow my leading and directions.”

That spoke clearly to me. I am busy trying to figure out life as it revolves around the surgery and my recuperation (surprise, surprise). All God really wants me to do is "listen and following Him".


I just thought that was very insightful. Keep those positive thoughts going, find some laughter in your week, hug your friends & family often & listen for God.

love you,
debbi

Unknown said...

Kendall, That is great news! CANCER FREE yeah! WOW! I am so excited for you and your family to get such great news! We will keep the prayers coming. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and tell everyone we said Hi.
Love,
Angie