Friday, November 14, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I've been wanting to write for a long time, but it seems that having nothing of importance to do actually makes me not want to do anything at all. I kind of like it. This is probably the first time in my entire life that I haven’t had any obligations whatsoever. I’m not in school, I’m not in any kind of organization, I don’t even have a hobby--yet. I’m enjoying it for the time being, but I think after a while I might go a little crazy. I mean, a person can’t sit in front of the TV all day without their mind turning into mush. I’m about to begin my new hobby—reading, I LOVE reading.
I came home last Friday and spent the evening and following morning/afternoon with my best friend, who drove in from College Station to see me even though she had two tests and two projects due the following week. Since then, I have had sorority sisters come out to my house, coffee and dessert with the ladies from church, lunch with friends, and just loads of visitors, phone calls, letters, and e-mails. It has been a tremendous encouragement—tremendous. God is faithful and continues to bless me with the joy of friends and family.
I know in my last post I talked a little bit about losing my hair. Well I have a little bit of a funny story. Last Sunday evening, five of my Baylor friends came out to my house in Lorena to stay the night. After going to a late showing of High School Musical 3 (yes…real mature), we all thought it would be a great idea to dye streaks of blue into our hair. At 1 am, the girls and I go out on the back porch to start the process of bleaching our hair. We wait about 30 minutes or so for the bleach to set, we put the blue in. Another 45 minutes of waiting and laughing hysterically passes. Girl number one sticks her head under the faucet of my tub, but as massive amounts of dark blue dye slushes around in the tub, we realize that it probably isn’t a good idea to dye my tub along with our hair. At this point it’s around 3 am and pretty chilly outside—probably in the 50s. We decide it’s a way better idea to go outside and stick our head under the hose to rid our hair of this foul smelling blue dye. Yea…we are in college, but we’re apparently not too bright. It was so cold, and we’re all outside standing under the hose, semi blue-headed and soaking wet because my hose is a little on the strong side. Lucky for me, I had my head shaved the next day, but those poor girls will have blue streaks in their hair for the next 8 weeks. I have great friends.
This has been a week of rest, and I am so glad that I was able to come home. I’m heading back to Houston on the 17th, which I believe is Monday, to start round two of my treatments. I’m not 100% sure that I’m ready, but I know that the sooner I get started, the sooner it will be over. My dad and friend/pastor keep reminding me to take each day as it comes. If I start to project too far ahead, I scare the geez out of myself. I honestly think that’s how life is in general. When I took my first Anatomy and Physiology class, I would make myself ill thinking about how many tests I had left or how many days I was going to need to study for the next test. In my second A&P class, I trained myself instead to think daily—today I’m going to study. Thinking too far ahead is stressful, and stress really just makes things worse.

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
Matthew 6:34

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Kendall, you continue to inspire me with such wisdom...some from those around you & some that God has given to you through other experiences :-) You truely are amazing and a blessing to all that read your blog!
Enjoy your time to read freely, with no pre-determined lists from someone else. I am a read-aholic myself and came across something the other day that I thought was way cool. Since you are among the educated you might have read it before, if not here it is. If you are looking for an inspiring book try "Soul Survivor" by Philip Yancey. The quote is from G.K. Chesterton, contrasting our state with that of God, who "is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we."

I found it so neat to think of it like that...to enjoy every day things so completely and not become weighed down by the cares of this world. God is amazingly good to us, even when we don't notice!

Thanks for sharing so openly with us all. Know that we at Cottonwood are lifting you & your family up, especially as you begin your next round of treatments.

We love you!
debbi

lisa said...

hey Kendall! Just checking in. I would love to come in and see you and Deana soon.... If that's okay?

I feel bad, I don't have the biblical wisdom to impart on you.... U know me, kooky aunt Lisa, but I truly believe in positive thinking and a lot of white light and Angel healing. (all in Jesus's name just a different way of getting there) I was told once that Angels are just right here waiting to be of assistance.... Problem is.... They need your permission to intervien.... You have to ask for their help... Every day. I believe. So as hard as it is, in your "spare" time, ask for a little healing help. It can't hurt.... Right?

Email me!! Lsbblues@aol.com. Love, aunt Lisa

PattieCakes said...

Hi Kendall
Miss Pattie here. I just read and got all caught up on your blog. Praise God that you know Jesus as your Savior, best friend, healer, comfort in times of trouble...just to name a few! I'm so thankful that you are exercising your faith--really understanding and living what it means to trust in God. You are an encouragement to me and anyone who reads your blog. God will continue to keep you in the palm of His hand.

Thank you for sharing your journey. I hope it is therapeutic for you. I appreciate so much your transparency inter-mingled with hope and confidence in the Great God we serve.

I know Emmy Jo, Kara and Lauren can't wait to see you. As I type Emmy and Kara are on yet another bus ride in S. America. This time from Buenos Aires back to Mendoza.

Tell your Mom and Dad I have prayed for them a LOT too. I can only imagine how difficult this has been. I'm thankful for their faith as well. Go God!

I will continue to pray for you every day and for your sweet family. I have some great prayer warriors in my life who are praying for you as well. I know God will continue to meet your every need. You are beautiful inside and out!

We love you and look forward to seeing you... maybe in January. Thinking we might bring Nolan down for the Winterfest... whatever it is called at Baylor for future students on January 31.

I am SO glad Emmy Jo has you in her life. She loves you so much. You are indeed a great friend and inspiration to many. Believing God for you! Love Love

Blondie said...

Hey Kendall this is Amy Poteet. I've been keeping up with how you are doing by calling my mom every day asking if she had any more updates. Also, she gave me your blog address so I can be more up to date on how you're dealing with all of this. All I can truly say is that with all that you've talked about going through, it's kind of been like a wake up call to me. You know, not to take life for granted. It was really shocking to hear that someone I knew so well was having to battle something like this. Yet through all of this, you've remained joyful and strong, and praising God's name despite your circumstances. What an inspiration you are to those of us who think our little things in life are such a big deal (a.k.a. Me!) Ha ha. I just got the news today about your latest scan coming back completely clean. I am so excited for you! I've been praying for you everyday along with the hundreds of other great friends and family you have by your side, and God has blessed you so much by making you healthy once again. It's such a miracle! Praise God! I know we never really knew each other that well, but I knew you well enough to know that you were a fighter and you were going to get through all of this with a smile always on your face! I will continue to pray for your recovery through all the chemo and radiation yet to come, and for your complete healing. You're such a great woman of God Kendall; God has some big plans for you girl!