Thursday, October 30, 2008

A week since the beginning--

So you were probably wondering, where in the world is Kendall? Have no fear, I have been slightly drugged up since I came out of the hospital and therefore not fit to right a proper blog. I tried a couple of times, but every time I would re-read it, I would be so confused by my own ramblings and thought chasing. Tuesday afternoon I was released from the hospital—or rather the looming fortress that controls my every movement. I felt such a sense of freedom, no IV’s, no tubes, no remote control airbed, and no chemo. However, I did feel the toll that the chemo (aka poison) had taken on my body the past 5 days. Those of you who know me, know that I am by no means frail and am actually inclined to contact sports and “horsing-around.” Leaving the hospital, it was all I could do not to pass out while transferring from the wheelchair to the passenger seat of my mom’s minivan. The rest of the day and Wednesday were kind of a whirlwind between light-headedness, nausea and just plain fatigue. Needless to say, it was a hard past couple of days, and yes sadly, there will be more days like those throughout this six month ordeal. I did however have a visit from my Uncle Tim which helped make the day go by faster, and of course, it’s always good to see family.
If you’re starting to feel a little sorry for me, you can stop now because today I woke up feeling great—in good spirits and in good health. I went into MD Anderson at 8 am for some blood work. Then at 10:30 am I had an appointment with my doctor. I feel like I should take a moment here and give Dr. Debbie Thomas a little introduction. Dr. Thomas on first site is a petite woman in her mid 40s, with dark graying hair, and very sharp features from her nose to chin to her small and highly intellectual eyes. You can just tell by meeting this woman that she is “the boss.” She has this aura about her that she knows what she’s doing—not just an aura, I think she actually is the best. This woman is incredible, when nurses ask me who my doctor is, and I say “Dr. Thomas,” they all get this look in their eyes, and they really make sure that they are on top of everything, and I mean everything. One nurse even called her “The Queen.” Anyways, I was at first a little intimidated by her because she is undoubtedly brilliant, but sitting in the office with her also made me feel protected in a way. When she told me that this lymphoma would be “a six month glitch in my life,” I definitely was relieved especially hearing it from her because I don’t think she would sugar-coat anything. She is definitely a demanding presence, but I know that she cares for her patients and I am so so thankful to be under her hawk-eyed care. Back to the actual doctor’s appointment, Dr. Thomas told me my WBC (white blood cell) counts looked good so far. I did have high bilirubin (has to do with the liver) and low potassium levels that will be getting checked again this Saturday. So far, so good. After that, I had a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) with a chemo injection. Sounds pretty horrible, right? Yea, it would seem so, but they give you relaxing medicine and numb up your back with local anesthesia (which is actually the part that hurts) and it only ends up being an uncomfortable 10 minute process. After that they make you lie on your back for a good hour or more so as to avoid excruciating head-aches, which I have not had. I was surprised when my mom entered the room with a good church-friend of ours, Amy Drake. The hour went by quickly, and it was so nice to see a familiar face in a place where everything is so foreign.
My mom and I have been searching for apartments because the place where we are living right now is more of a “temporary” lodging. It’s like a very nice hotel room, but I think for six months we are going to want something a little bigger and with a kitchen for sure.
I am excited to say that I will be going to my grandparents lakehouse for the weekend to relax. Actually, I think it is probably more for the benefit of my mother. Poor thing, she’s a trooper. (I will devote a future blog just to my mom.) I plan on watching lots of college football, eating my grandma’s mashed potatoes, and just spending time with my family, which is hard to come by these days. What with my mom and me in Houston and my dad and Kolby in Waco, but my family is strong, and I know that we’ll be able to stick it out.

I will try to be more diligent in my entries. I promise :)

12 comments:

Kelli Smith said...

Kendall- you are too sweet- I love reading your blogs- thanks so much for making them so real, and for being so geniune. It helps us to know what to pray for, and gives us a glimpse of what you are going through there in Houston. We so wish we could come visit you- maybe after football season! We're praying for you daily. You'd smile if you heard the kiddos' prayers for you. They still vividly remember your sweet spirit and caring heart. Hang tough- glad you are getting to relax this weekend with family. Tell your Mom, Dad and Kolby hello. Thanks for the updates. You are amazing and strong! We love ya!

lisa said...

Kendall.... I was at the lake a couple of weeks ago and heard that u had to come home from Argintina...... I was devistated to hear today just why! You have such a strong and beautiful spirit and I know that this IS just a glitch in the road! I wish I was closer so that I could help out.... Please let me know if I can. When u feel up to it I will take u out for something good and fattening!!

I am sending very good thoughts your way!!!!!

Love, Aunt/cousin Lisa

Tanya said...

Dear Sweet Kendall,
Mrs. Tate here. Do you remember the good ole' days at LMS? You can credit your brilliance to my fantabulos reading class. Okay, to your parents too.
I remember one time you were reading a very lengthy book and the boys in the class moved your bookmark to see if you were really reading your book. To the boys dismay your face became puzzled shortly after re-opening your book. You then flipped through the pages to find the actual spot that you had left off on. I bet you can guess who the boys were! I could not have asked for a more precious gift than the students I had at LMS(especially you). What was extra sweet was also knowing that you are my sister in Christ! What a joy to watch you grow into the young lady you are today! I am praying for you and your family. Thank you for sharing your days with us. Your heavenly Father is compassionate and merciful. He can do more than we could ever ask or imagine.
Cling to Christ and know that you are loved...Tanya

Debi Deiterman said...

Kendall,
Sometimes God needs our full attention; use this opportunity to get in tune with His will. During my treatments He gave me several scriptural promises; I hope they will strenghten you during this ordeal too.
Ps. 116 is my favorite. Tell your mom hello and I am looking forward to seeing you in the survivor line at the 2009 relay for life.
Debi Deiterman

dauncox said...

Kendall-
I love keeping up with you through the blog. Thanks for giving us a real picture of what's going on. I think and pray for you everyday!! I wanted to send you something to encourage you... This is what I found....God is with you through this journey....Matthew 1:23...Mary names the baby Immanuel, God with us. Matthew 28:20 "Surely I am with you always to the very end of the age" .... and John 14:16...And I will ask the father and he will give you another Counselor to be WITH YOU FOREVER...the SPIRIT OF TRUTH!!"
Enjoy the weekend. I know you will.
Lots of Hugs,
Coach Cox

Kim Kirkpatrick-Thornton said...

Kendall,
Thank you for taking time to write on your blogand share with us what is going on. I'm inspired and encouraged by your attitude and strength. I'm praying for you daily and daily check your blog to see how I can pray for you. God brings you to mind often. I love you and your entire family and am praying for them as well. Psalm 27:14 "Wait for the Lord; Be strong, and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord."

Anonymous said...

Kendall, my favorite niece (but don't tell your sisters),

We are reading your posts with great interest. I am not sure that you knew that Aunt Kathy is an Oncology RN. She is also reading your blogs and said that what you are going through and how you are feeling is very normal. You are rough and tough with a good doctor at the best hospital, so when you add all of the prayers into the equation there is no doubt that everything will work out alright. Just listen to your doctors, do what they say and soon you'll be a great nurse with a powerful testimony to heal your patients both physically as well as spiritually. God is working in you and on you. Keep up your strong faith as well as your sense of hummor. Kendall I love you and will keep you in our prayers. Happy Hollaween and root for them Noles with a side cheer for the Dawgs.
Lots of Love,
Uncle John

Unknown said...

So excited about coming to see you two Kayworth girls. Is there anything you want/need me to bring from Waco? I will see you this Thursday...can't wait!!! Covering you in prayers, the McMeans family

wamolinda said...

Kendall, my sister Kay Dunlap sent me the link to your blog. I was Kay's caregiver most of the time she was in Houston, so your blog brings back lots of memories! Your description of MD Anderson as the place that never sleeps is SO true. Kay was admitted to the ICU from the ER one night about midnight. That may have been the longest day I've ever experienced. Anyway, Kay was mostly out of it and she came through with flying colors. It takes a lot of energy to keep up with a blog or a site like CaringBridge, but it is good therapy for you and a blessing for all who read it. Hang in there!
Linda Hough

Unknown said...

You are amazing and a fantastic writer. We keep you in our prayers. Love, Lynn B

Nancy Hatton said...

Hey Kendall...hope your weekend revived you and your mom. Loved hearing about your doctor...it's comforting to know you are in her care. I sent books with your dad but I realized some of the books we discussed are loaned out. If you need a good laugh, Jeff and I dressed up as bikers Friday night. Jeff had a blond mullet wig w/ bandana, a tatoo shirt, and a leather vest. I had a perfect bandana for my head, a tatto sleeve and wore all black w/ biker boots. It was hilarious! No one recognized us. I'll try to send you a picture. I love reading your blog and I love your personality. God has made you one tough cookie! Love you kendall, Nancy

bsams said...

Kendall,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and let us all know how you are doing! It is something that you really don't have to do and yet you do it because you love us all and you know that we love you! God has developed you into such an awesome woman! I always knew He had great things in store for you! We are praying for you and love you!! You are such an encouragement and make me think about how much I complain about silly frustrations in my life! I would love to see you sometime when you are home, but I know you will probably be exhausted and have plenty of visitors! Keep praying...and keep praising! Love ya!

Bekah =)