Friday, October 24, 2008

This Hospital just DOESN'T Sleep

As I had written in my previous blog, my expected time of admission into the hospital was supposed to be 2 pm. My mom and I arrived on time at the admissions office, only to be told by the front desk that the hospital was at 105% capacity. Is that even possible? A little frustrated, okay maybe very frustrated, my mom and I drove back to our temporary living arrangements. We got the call at 8:30, the women said, “You have a bed, but there is someone in it right now.” Hmm….those of you who know me or worse my mother can guess the reaction on that one. But the lady on the other line saved herself by adding after a brief silence, “come at 9:30 and we’ll be ready for you.”
At 9:30 I was admitted and taken up to my small hospital room. Right away all these sweet little workers were taking my vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse), extracting enough blood to feed a family of vampires, and were just in and out of the room. About an hour later, a man came in to put an IV on the side of my arm. By that time it was about 12. My mom and I dozed off in the room until around 2 when my nurse came in to start my chemo treatment. She started to explain to me about the chemo, its side-effects, etc. but I’m pretty sure only 20% went to my brain because I was so ridiculously tired. From 2 am until 5 am, there were three different nurses in and out of our room, taking vital signs every fifteen minutes (to make sure I didn’t have a bad reaction—which I didn’t) and of course drawing more blood. I know that there were some points when they had to physically move my arm to put the blood pressure band on it (I was so tired I couldn’t figure it out myself, yea, I’m goofy). The finger pulse taker fell off my finger probably 10 times and the little nurses had to get it for me because yet again, I was too drowsy to know what was going on. Anyways, I didn’t really feel any side effects with the first drug of the night, except maybe a slightly runny nose, sneezing, and itchy throat. After 3 hours of the first part of my chemo regimen, the nurse started shooting me up with a saline, antibiotic, and a nausea medicine. At 8, my nurse came in again to start another type of chemo, which took twice as long. When that had finished, around she put in more stuff, I’m not sure what it was, but whatever it was its still going to this very moment. Between the hours of 8 am and 8 pm, I had a CVC (central venous catheter) put in my chest (something that I never want to have to do again but probably will); an X-ray to make sure the catheter was positioned well into the vein, and a spinal tap to get some cerebral spinal fluid. Now, 8:15 pm, I will be taking another 3 hour round. After that, I'm thinking a good nights sleep is in order, but this hospital just doesn't sleep!!
I'm doing better than I thought I would be doing. Then I think, 6 months of this???? But when somebody posed this question to me, I thought twice. "You're giving up 6 months of your life to have the rest of your life." That's how I'm looking at it. A one step at a time kind of attitude. I say all this now, but its technically only been 24 hours since I was admitted. So, please pray for me that I can continue to have confidence that Christ is doing his will and also for the strength that only He can give. Thank you to all :)

3 comments:

Janice Miller Moore said...

Kendall.....I enjoyed reading this post and seeing how well the first round went (and your side comments are so funny). You remind me of a butterfly coming out of its caccoon....no one can rip it out through the process or it would be harmful to the butterfly....it has to be painful with all that twisting, turning, and unwinding....but the end result is a very beautiful creation from God. Continue to know He is working in your life and the end result is going to be perfect.
Tell your mom the kids at school are doing fine and we miss her.

kay d said...

Hey Kendall,
Just read your lastest blog. It's a pain (literally) to have the CVC put in but you'll be glad. Not nearly as many pokes. I didn't mind blood sticks when I first started, but by the end I HATED them. The CVC makes everything lots easier (except taking showers).
Kay

Belen said...

Kendall,
Thanks for keeping us posted. Every time you have to go through your chemo sessions, remember there's a mighty God that will hold your hand and will be there to soothe you. That's the God who will answer you and all your loved ones who are praying for you.
No doubt that He is working in your life. Don't give on your faith
Tons of love from Mendoza :)
Belen