Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Just call me a Houstonian

The test results given by Dr. Anderson
o My blood tests, bone marrow biopsy and heart tests came out well, no cause for worry
o My PET CT scan showed cancerous cells on my left kidney, left clavicle bone, 7th vertebrae, right side of the pelvic bone, and of course my neck. It is normal for the cancer to be spread out since I did have high-grade (fast-growing) lymphoma.

He concurred that I have Burkitt-type Lymphoma, but told us that the cancer cells are very similar to the cancer cells of leukemia. Since the type of Lymphoma I have and Leukemia are treated the same way (with the same type of chemo), Dr. Anderson transferred me to Dr. Deborah Thomas, who is a leukemia doctor. She told us the same exact thing as Dr. Anderson. She also told us what my chemo regimen will be like:
8 cycles (5 to 6 months)
Each cycle is as follows:
o 5 days of hospitalized chemotherapy with two spinal taps during this period
o 14 days of rest
o During days of rest—3 times each week I will have blood tests in the hospital to make sure my blood counts are not too low.

My parents and I asked the doctor in her opinion if we should have the blood tests done at home in Waco. She told us that in all honesty it would be better to stay in Houston to have it done; her reasons being the quality of care, the high likelihood of a need for blood transfusions (which they are easily equipped and capable of doing at MD Anderson), and in case of emergency. Needless to say, my parents have already found my mom and me a permanent apartment less than 10 miles from the hospital to stay. I will be able to come back to Waco for 3 to 7 day intervals, depending on my blood count. I am also, thankfully, allowed visitors whenever I want, provided that they are not sick. The chemotherapy will be knocking my white blood cells down and I won’t have a lot of resistance to illness, so I will have to become more of a “germ freak” than I already am—let’s hope I don’t become too OCD.

As of right now, I start my chemo treatments this Thursday, October 23rd and will finish on Monday, October 27th. Sadly, I will miss Baylor homecoming, pigskin, etc, but I am definitely there in spirit :)

Thanks again to all of you who care enough for me to read this blog and pray for me and my family. I will try to keep everyone updated. Please continue to pray—God really does answer prayers.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kendall Kayworth...you are amazing. I love you and am rooting for you. Definately praying for you constantly.

Kelli Smith said...

Kendall- Can you post your Houston address- I'm sure that there are many people that will want to send you cards of encouragement during your stay!
your courage is amazing- remember that you CAN do ALL things through CHRIST, who gives you strength!
Praying for you this morning, Kelli

Unknown said...

Kendall,
You are in my daily thoughts and prayers. I know what you are going through is not easy. Test after test, appointment after appointmet and of course chemo. Stay strong and keep a positive attitude and smile on your face. You will beat this! We are all praying for you.

Love, Angie

Kyrbie Alexis said...

Hi Kendall, Chelsey Snodgrass told me about your blog this morning. I just wanted to let you know that I work at MD Anderson! I'm a social worker here and would be happy to help you and your family in any way that I can. Please, if there's anything I can do, even to come visit during your treatments, let me know. My email address is: kwhite@mdanderson.org and my phone number is 254-644-6861.
I live in the Med. center, probably pretty close to your apartment. You're in mine and my family's prayers. Make that Cancer History!!
-Kyrbie White (formerly Kyrbie Green)

Anonymous said...

Kendall...I just wanted to let you know that you have so many people here that are praying for you and your family to stay strong and trust in God. Take Care!

Blake said...

Kendall,
i will be reading your blog all the time and praying for you and the struggles you are going through. i know you are strong!!!! Keep the faith, you will beat it!

Love Blake

Blake said...

Kendall,
i will be reading your blog all the time and praying for you and the struggles you are going through. i know you are strong!!!! Keep the faith, you will beat it!

Love Blake

dauncox said...

Kendall--- God knows every cell in your body!! Lean on HIM. I am committed to pray for you everyday! I have you on several church prayer chains! (Even one in Ft.Worth with my parent's Sunday School class at University Baptist Church.) I would love your Houston Address too. Know that I love you dearly.....Coach Cox

The Williams said...

Kendall-Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family constantly. We love ya girl and are praying for a speedy recovery.

Steve and Keri

Belen said...

Kendall,
You're incredibly awesome! you're teaching us a wonderful lesson through your attitude and words. Don't give up, Kendall. The Lord doesn't leave His children alone when in difficulties, and you are one of them.
Here in Mendoza we're all praying for you and your family.
Te quiero mucho :)
Belén

Unknown said...

....i love you...i am praying for you & your healing. "the lord god is with you- he is mighty to save. he takes great delight in you. he will quiet you with his love. he rejoices over you with singing-he is with you." know that your family is in our prayers everyday.

AV said...

i am one of your biggest fans. especially right now. your incredible.

Unknown said...

Kendall, praying for you & thinking of you - May the God of all comfort - comfort you during this time & be your strength & pour out His love for you into your heart. Love you girl & know that your church family in Waco is praying that our will for your healing is God's will.
Pete

Anonymous said...

Kendall I am so thankful you have this blog...it will help us stay in touch with you & have specific things to pray - like your list of requests.

Know you are constantly in mine & Ron's prayers. You have an amazing spirit, keep remembering where your strength comes from!


We love you,
Debbi & Ron Renfro

Emily and Jimmy Miller said...

Kendall --
You are in my prayers every single day and just know that i am constantly lifting you and your family up to the Lord. It was so good to talk to you the other day, hearing your voice again was refreshing. you're such a beautiful, Godly woman. no cancer can ever take that away.

i love you friend.
emily

cindy holton said...

Kendall, It's Friday here at ol LHS and I was sitting here thinking of you. Hope yesterday was somewhat bearable. I guess you are on my mind all the time as you were in my dream last night. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing. Love Cindy Holton (Kattner)

kay d said...

Kendall,
It was so great to meet you yesterday. I was so happy to see your great attitude. But remember, if you need to whine, I'll understand. I took a sack of things to your dad this morning. Wear your green t-shirt with pride. You are a survivor.

I've got some "living with cancer" devo books I'll send soon.

Love and Prayers,
Kay D

kay d said...

KendallIt was so great to meet you yesterday. I was so happy to see your great attitude. But remember, if you need to whine, I'll understand. I took a sack of things to your dad this morning. Wear your green t-shirt with pride. You are a survivor.

I've got some "living with cancer" devo books I'll send soon.

Love and Prayers,
Kay D

Unknown said...

Kendall...you are a special young lady with such a great attitude about everything. I can picture you in the hospital with that sweet beautiful smile of yours enduring your trials and tribulations like the champion you are. Please know that I am thinking about you and praying not only for you but your family as well. May the Lord give you and your family peace and courage while you undergo your treatments and face the coming days. Lord Jesus bless you always...
Coach Harbour